Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Flying Fox

Asha and I have just returned from a long weekend in Auckland, catching up with old friends and visiting places which have a lot of memories for us. You see, for those who don't know, we moved to Auckland in January 2005 when Asha was two and Lulu was two months old, then returned to Melbourne in September 2008, with our little souvenir, Geordie, who was then six months old.

So for almost four years it was our home, where my little ones grew up, went to kindergarten, started school, where we brought our son home from hospital. We made the most wonderful friends, caring supportive fun friendly people, and it was a wrench to leave that beautiful country. This past weekend was the first time back after almost three years. And of course, not too much had changed, it was as amazing and beautiful as always, the harbour and Rangitoto Island, the gorgeous villas, the wonderful people. They really turned the weather on for us too.

Anyhoo .. I will stop there and share a special place to us all, Little Rangitoto Reserve, or Upland Road Park as we called it .. and the amazing Flying Fox. We couldn't imagine anything like this in Australia - tell me if I'm wrong! - and Asha started on it at the age of two! I wasn't there of course, Matt decided it was a good idea, when I found out I was horrified! But Kiwis are courageous cool cucumbers, and I had to fit in with culture didn't I? Lulu started on it before she turned two, and kids are always standing on the platform in line awaiting their turn. Parents sit babies and toddlers on their laps and have a go, parents have a go on their own! It's all fun.

Below you can see images of Asha as she grew, in the first pics she is two, Matt running by her under my instruction to catch her if she fell! - second lot of pics she is three, and in the last video aged eight, just this last Saturday.







Untitled from Jo Beveridge on Vimeo.



3 comments:

  1. That is a super-cool flying fox! I love her face in the close up shot. Pure joy! She's a dare devil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it Kath! It's funny seeing how much wider the path below it has become in five years :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! How did Lulu not fall off at the end when it bounces into the pole bit! Must have strong little arms or literally scared stiff hahaa although somehow I don`t think she fears very much! Glad you two got away together..how fun ;)

    ReplyDelete